Walter T. Brown (1931-1932)
Head of the religion department at Yale, assumed the role of acting chaplain from January 1931 until the end of the academic year in spring 1932.
Rev. A. Sidney Lovett, Jr. (1932-1958)
Graduated from Yale in 1913 and was a member of Skull & Bones, later attended Union Theological Seminary. Lovett served as pastor of the Mount Vernon Congregational Church in Boston from 1919-1932 before becoming the second University Chaplain at Yale in the fall of 1932.
· First self-identified agnostic and Buddhist students matriculate at Yale College in 1930
· First self-identified Atheist matriculates at Yale College in 1935
· Religious counseling program for Jewish students is started on campus in 1933. In Lovett’s second year, he identified the need for Jewish students to be served by someone with different training than himself. He advocated for a counseling program to begin, this program eventually evolved into the Yale Hillel Foundation.
· In 1935, the offices of the University Chaplain and the Church of Christ in Yale moved from Farnam Hall to a larger space in Durfee Hall due to the growing needs of the social and pastoral activities of the Chaplain’s Office.
· St. Thomas More Chapel opens in 1938. Father T. Lawrason Riggs, class of 1910, was an early Catholic graduate of Yale, who saw the need for a Catholic chaplaincy after the numbers of Catholic students significantly increased after WWI.