Yale compulsory chapel ends in 1926 after 225 years and the last required chapel service is held in Battell Chapel on June 5, 1926 ( pictured below).
Charles Reynolds Brown, Dean of Yale Divinity School, resigns from the role of pastor of the Church of Christ in Yale University, where he served since March 20, 1916
Rev. Elmore McNeill McKee (1927-1930)
On May 23, 1927, a council of New Haven pastors elected Elmore McKee, pastor of St. Paul’s in New Haven, to be the first full time pastor of the Church of Christ in Yale University, and subsequently the first Chaplain.
McKee graduated Yale in 1919 and later studied at Yale Divinity School and Berkeley Divinity School. As an undergraduate, McKee was a member of Skull & Bones and chairman of Yale News. McKee left the chaplaincy in December 1930, when he took a position as rector of Trinity Church in Buffalo, NY.